Working on Solaris2.5.1, I get:

if test D = N; then \
    cat ./xmods.conf > modules-bltin; \
elif test yes != yes; then \
    echo comp1 > modules-bltin; \
else \
    echo > modules-bltin; \
fi
( cd .. && /bin/sh Src/mkmodindex.sh Src ) \
    > modules.index.tmp
Src/mkmodindex.sh: syntax error at line 19: `^' unexpected
*** Error code 2
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `Makemod'
Current working directory /ic/dev/users/brs/zsh-3.1.2-zefram3/Src
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `Src'

And indeed, the line is illegal:

Presumably it should be *[!_0-9A-Za-z]*@*)

Correcting this leads to numerous errors in Src/mkmakemod.sh, starting with
Src/../Src/mkmakemod.sh: syntax error at line 238: `(' unexpected

and moving on to complain about "do", "then" and so on.

Nor does zsh seem happy to run the scripts.  I tried changing SHELL to
/tmp/sh, and creating a symbolic link to an older zsh, but that gave much the
same errors.

I'm guessing this was developed on Linux, or some other machine where /bin/sh
is bash.  It needs fixing up for a proper release.