Re: set -A and stat -A vs. typeset -A and stat -H

Typing away merrily, Bart Schaefer produced the immortal words:
> Phil P. has expressed interest in going back to `typeset -H assoc' rather
> than the ksh-inspired `typeset -A assoc' presently in use.  I objected on
> the grounds that (H)ash, as e.g. used in the `stat -H' documentation, is
> the wrong way to refer to associative arrays; it implies too much about the
> implementation.

You might with to check the documentation for the stat module, which
seems up to date.  I've just got 3.1.5-pws5 here and opened it to
verify my memory.

`stat -A' was already taken.  For assigning to an Array.  This is why I
looked around for another value, and is probably the point at which I
started getting really annoyed about the option values.

Hrm... just went searching for this.  From fortune(6):
        Stop!  Whoever crosseth the bridge of Death, must answer first
these questions three, ere the other side he see!

        "What is your name?"
        "Sir Brian of Bell."
        "What is your quest?"
        "I seek the Holy Grail."
        "What are four lowercase letters that are not legal flag arguments
to the Berkeley UNIX version of `ls'?"
        "I, er.... AIIIEEEEEE!"

HAND (and no, the first two letters of that are just coincidence).
--
--> Phil Pennock ; GAT d- s+:+ a23 C++(++++) UL++++/I+++/S+++/B++/H+$ P++@$
L+++ E-@ W(+) N>++ o !K w--- O>+ M V !PS PE Y+ PGP+ t-- 5++ X+ R !tv b++>+++