Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: PATCH: 3.0.6-pre-3: mainly history bug fixes
- X-seq: zsh-workers 6456
- From: "Bart Schaefer" <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- To: Wayne Davison <wayne@xxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: PATCH: 3.0.6-pre-3: mainly history bug fixes
- Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 04:38:43 +0000
- Cc: zsh-workers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- In-reply-to: <Pine.GSO.4.10.9906031943490.11008-100000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-workers-help@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
- References: <Pine.GSO.4.10.9906031943490.11008-100000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Jun 3, 8:11pm, Wayne Davison wrote:
} Subject: Re: PATCH: 3.0.6-pre-3: mainly history bug fixes
} On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Bart Schaefer wrote:
} > Something I don't want to accidentally do is fold in the history
} > search change (whole words at beginning of line)
} Quite correct, I did not include that change, nor any history change
} that was not a bug fix or a code optimization.
Thank you (both for doing it and reassuring me about it).
} > what's going to happen when somebody with this option set fires up
} > a new zsh and it loads his existing old-format .zhistory?
} The new code is smart enough to treat a finish length that is >= the
} start time as the old format.
} Going back from a new shell with this new EXTENDED_HISTORY format to
} an old shell without it can cause the finish times to read in as
} very early dates, but I wasn't particularly concerned about this.
} Do you feel differently?
I'm thinking about it ... of course one hopes that there won't be any
reason to go backwards ... it's impossible to make such a change in a
forwards-compatible way (such that the old version won't be confused)
so there's no point in doing more than you have; the question is if the
change should be made at all.
Here's a thought that just occurred to me: What if we have 3.0.6 keep
writing hist files in the old format, but treat a finish time less than
the start time as the new format? Then 3.0.6 and 3.1.6 will be able to
exchange history files with each other. A transition phase like that
seems worthwhile to me.
Bart Schaefer Brass Lantern Enterprises
Messages sorted by: