Re: PATCH: 3.0.6-pre-3: mainly history bug fixes

On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> Something I don't want to accidentally do is fold in the history
> search change (whole words at beginning of line) that caused so
> much complaint and eventual back-patching.  I don't *think* I see
> it in here anywhere, but if you can reassure me, please do.

Quite correct, I did not include that change, nor any history change
that was not a bug fix or a code optimization.  For example, several
functions now properly use the numeric prefix that had previously
ignored it.  Also, the majority of the differences in zle_hist.c was
from a unification of the upline/downline code into separate
functions so that the formerly-duplicated code would not continue to
diverge (it was inconsistent in one case, I believe).

> what's going to happen when somebody with this option set fires up
> a new zsh and it loads his existing old-format .zhistory?

The new code is smart enough to treat a finish length that is >= the
start time as the old format.  This should be OK, since I don't
believe that people will be running a program continuously for over
29 years.

Going back from a new shell with this new EXTENDED_HISTORY format to
an old shell without it can cause the finish times to read in as
very early dates, but I wasn't particularly concerned about this.
Do you feel differently?

..wayne..