New compinstall and bindkey

Firstly, the new compinstall doesn't seem to work very will when the
functions have been installed in subdirectories: It refuses to accepy
/usr/local/share/zsh/functions as the directory containing the
functions. I don't quite understand the reasoning behind making compinit
an autoloaded function which is unloaded. I'd prefer to have it in
/usr/local/share/zsh/functions and not in my fpath. Is it faster as a
function?

How do I bind a key to insert a new-line without doing an accept-line.
In the zed function it is done with bindkey "^M" self-insert-unmeta but
this binds it to return. I was hoping to bind it to Alt-Return.

Thanks

Oliver Kiddle