Re: history curiosities

On Jul 16,  3:36pm, Peter Stephenson wrote:
} Subject: history curiosities
}
} I'm getting rather confused with history.  The options I have set are given
} at the end; I think what's really doing it is HISTIGNOREALLDUPS.  I have
} HISTFILE, HISTSIZE and SAVEHIST set, though presumably the values aren't
} that significant.
}
} First, if I do `history' I get a listing without the last `history' in the
} listing.  Yet when I do `!!', it's that `history' which is re-executed.
} (Note I don't have histnostore set.)

This has always been the case.  Commands aren't entered into the history
until they finish being executed (or are stopped, or backgrounded with &).
That's one reason why the histnostore option exists.

} I also have h as an alias for `history -fD'.
[...]
} Worse: I now set HISTNOSTORE in addition to the others, type `h', then
} `!!'.  I get the message `no such event'.  After some more attempts with
} those two commands, the whole thing goes haywire.

This is new in pws-something: I can't reproduce it in 3.0.5 or 3.0.6-pre.

} I hope Wayne's out there somewhere...

Me, too.