history curiosities

I'm getting rather confused with history.  The options I have set are given
at the end; I think what's really doing it is HISTIGNOREALLDUPS.  I have
HISTFILE, HISTSIZE and SAVEHIST set, though presumably the values aren't
that significant.

First, if I do `history' I get a listing without the last `history' in the
listing.  Yet when I do `!!', it's that `history' which is re-executed.
(Note I don't have histnostore set.)

I also have h as an alias for `history -fD'.  After
  echo one
  echo two
  echo three
I get what I said above; the h is not listed.  Now when I do `history', the
`h' is listed but the `history' isn't, i.e. the last two entries shown
are `echo three' and `h'.  Now if I do `h' again, the `h' disappears and
`history' shows up.

Worse: I now set HISTNOSTORE in addition to the others, type `h', then
`!!'.  I get the message `no such event'.  After some more attempts with
those two commands, the whole thing goes haywire.  Repeating !! makes the
`h' listing show earlier and earlier parts of the list (seems to step back
4 every time).  After another command, typing `h' gives a `no such event'
message.  Sometimes the shell exits, but I haven't worked out how to
reproduce that.

I hope Wayne's out there somewhere...

noappendhistory       off
nobanghist            off