Re: PATCH: files attributes not colored by complist

Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:

> This is just a cosmetic patch so that complist
> does not color files' attributes (as does GNU ls).

I don't use coloured lists, so my opinion shouldn't really count, but
I think that we don't need to exactly copy the GNU-ls behaviour if we
think that we found a place where a slight incompatibility is better.

There already was one incompatibility: if you use a different
background colour for some file type, `complist' uses it in for the
name and the spaces following it so that the right margins of the
columns line up nicely. I *really* prefer it this way -- and your
patch changes it. Just consider something wants to use one set of
back- and foreground colours for all matches so that completion lists
as a whole stand out from the other stuff on the screen. Without your
patch this can easily be done and you get a `block' with a different
background colour. With your patch you get a ugly looking mixture of
the list-background and the normal terminal-background.

Personally I don't like this at all. But maybe we can hear other
opinions?

Bye
 Sven