Re: Bug or feature?

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Bart Schaefer wrote:

> On Jul 28,  7:30pm, Juhapekka Tolvanen wrote:

> } % zsh --version

> Hmm, I'm a little surprised that zsh silently ignored that.  I believe
> it's treating it the same as `--' (end of options).  Zsh is not a GNU
> package and doesn't understand any "long options".

Is it too much work to teach zsh to understand long-options?

How about adding some single-letter option, that makes zsh to output its
version-number and then exit succesfully? -v,  -V, -r and -R are already
reserved, though.

> I also note:
>
> zagzig[265] bash --version
> bash: --: bad option

juhtolv@heresy : /home/juhtolv
% bash --version                                                   7720 | pts/5
GNU bash, version 2.03.0(1)-release (i386-pc-linux-gnu)

Which version of bash you have? BTW In Red Hat Linux bash version 2.0.* is
in package bash2.

--
Juhapekka "naula" Tolvanen * U of Jyväskylä * juhtolv@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.cc.jyu.fi/~juhtolv/ * * "STRAIGHT BUT NOT NARROW !!"