Re: zsh-3.1.9-dev-6 crashes occassionally

On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 10:41:41AM +0100,
Sven Wischnowsky <wischnow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Bart Schaefer wrote:
>
> > On Nov 1, 10:41am, Sven Wischnowsky wrote:
> > }
> > } Here's the second version, still not-to-be-committed.
> >
> > Of course, the question is, does this actually fix Thomas's crash?
>
> I've seen Thomas' reply.
>
> But: is this really the question? Without such a trap-handling delay
> and with the code not protecting critical code sections as it is now
> (without the patch), crashes like these can always happen. And the
> code is full of critical sections because there are many, many places
> where we access global data structures.

And lots of people will do funny things in their .zshrc and see
occassional crashes that nobody can explain. Uhm.

> However, the patch is so deep in the guts of zsh that I hesitate to
> decide if it should be committed, especially if Bart says things like
> the above ;-). I've been using it on my laptop ever since I posted it
> and didn't have any problems but I don't use TRAPALRM(), so that means
> almost nothing (but Peter and I made sure the trap-tests still work
> correctly).

Hm. Collecting patches before recompiling etc, lots of work to do before
testing. Anybody to send me a full tar-ball with this patch applied?
Perhaps I can start testing this on Saturday or such...

> Anyway, Peter has the newest version of this patch, together with his
> trap-changes.

So, if this patch will be committed, it's Peter's part to do so? :)

> Bye
>  Sven

Ciao,
Thomas