Re: Shell exits on bad coproc redirection

Bart Schaefer wrote:
> The problem seems to be a combination of these two items (ChangeLog-3.1):
>
> 1999-10-10  Bart Schaefer  <schaefer@xxxxxxx>
>
>         * Src/exec.c: Plug lead of a copy of the coproc input descriptor.
>
> (ahem, that should say "leak").
>
> Sun May 18 18:57:08 1997  Zolt<E1>n Hidv<E9>gi  <hzoli@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
>         * Src/builtin.c, Src/exec.c, Src/init.c, Src/signals.c, Src/jobs.c:
>           Do not handle SIGPIPE specially for shells with job control
>
> Anybody remember why we stopped handling SIGPIPE?  Is Zoltan still out there
> anywhere?

Presumably that's the root of the near-discussion we had just before the
last release:

>> There's the SIGPIPE issue from 12223 (only partly fixed by 12222?).
>
> I haven't thought about this since, but after jogging my memory by reading
> 12223, 12222 is good enough for the real problem, and the rest was just my
> paranoia.  The issue was that if a `tee' spawned by a multio exits early,
> the parent shell will get SIGPIPE and exit, too; but that's probably not a
> bug.

Multios and coprocs are pretty similar in this respect.  I'm not
particularly attached to `probably not a bug'; I would probably trade it in
for `seems to reflect the current intention of the code' in return for a go
on your playstation.

CSR Ltd., Unit 300, Science Park, Milton Road,
Cambridge, CB4 0XL, UK                          Tel: +44 (0)1223 392070

and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or
taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by
prohibited.
delete the material from any computer.