Re: 4.2.0-pre-1 on HP-UX 11.11

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 12:21:14PM +0000, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> Paul Ackersviller wrote:
> > cc: "configure", line 9234: error 1584: Inconsistent type declaration: "gettimeofday".
> > cc: "configure", line 9234: error 1584: Inconsistent type declaration: "select".
>
> It should show the failed program, too --- you should have a chunk
> beginning:
>
> configure: failed program was:
>
> Without this we don't have enough to go on.

I've attached the portion in question of my config.log -- I don't
understand why it appears to be trying signatures of char (*)().

> We desperately need developers (or at least configure experts) with
> access to HPUX and AIX.  Otherwise we're stuck with tricks like:

I'm far from a configure expert, but I'd be willing to do what I can.
However I have no AIX access, only HP-UX 11.11 and 11.00 (although the
latter box may not stay around long).

BTW, I tried dynamic-loading some pieces of zsh, which is by default
all configured off on HP-UX.  It looks to work on 11.11.

> #ifdef __hpux
> #undef HAVE_SELECT
> #undef HAVE_GETTIMEOFDAY
> #define HAVE_SELECT 1
> #define HAVE_GETTIMEOFDAY 1
> #endif
>
> which is horrible but might at least work.  (If you want to try it,
> stick it at the end of Src/system.h and see if it now configures and
> builds from scratch.)

Yes, this does, but when resorting to that wouldn't it be best to make
it version-specific?  Unfortunately I don't see any suitable macros.

> By the way, it's possible the same problem exists with HAVE_POLL: it
> should use poll() as an alternative to select().

No, it seems to be finding poll() alright, although I editted that
portion out of the attached log file.
configure:9134: checking for gettimeofday
configure:9184: cc -o conftest  -O   conftest.c -lnsl -lcurses -lHcurses -lm  -lc >&5
cc: "configure", line 9234: error 1584: Inconsistent type declaration: "gettimeofday".
cc: "configure", line 9241: warning 604: Pointers are not assignment-compatible.
cc: "configure", line 9250: warning 605: Illegal pointer combination for !=.
configure:9187: $? = 1
> [...]
| #define HAVE_STRING_H 1
| #define HAVE_MEMORY_H 1
| #define HAVE_STRINGS_H 1
| #define HAVE_INTTYPES_H 1
| #define HAVE_UNISTD_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_TIME_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_TIMES_H 1
| #define HAVE_TERMIO_H 1
| #define HAVE_TERMIOS_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_PARAM_H 1
| #define HAVE_STRING_H 1
| #define HAVE_MEMORY_H 1
| #define HAVE_LIMITS_H 1
| #define HAVE_FCNTL_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_UTSNAME_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_RESOURCE_H 1
| #define HAVE_LOCALE_H 1
| #define HAVE_ERRNO_H 1
| #define HAVE_STDIO_H 1
| #define HAVE_STDLIB_H 1
| #define HAVE_UNISTD_H 1
| #define HAVE_UTMP_H 1
| #define HAVE_UTMPX_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H 1
| #define HAVE_PWD_H 1
| #define HAVE_GRP_H 1
| #define HAVE_POLL_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_MMAN_H 1
| #define HAVE_NETINET_IN_SYSTM_H 1
| #define HAVE_LANGINFO_H 1
| #define HAVE_WCHAR_H 1
| #define HAVE_STDDEF_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_STROPTS_H 1
| #define HAVE_DLFCN_H 1
| #define HAVE_DL_H 1
| #define HAVE_LIBM 1
| #define HAVE_CURSES_H 1
| #define HAVE_TERM_H 1
| #define RETSIGTYPE void
| #define ZSH_64_BIT_TYPE long long
| #define ZSH_64_BIT_UTYPE unsigned long long
| #define HAVE_STRUCT_TIMEZONE 1
| #define HAVE_STRUCT_UTMP 1
| #define HAVE_STRUCT_UTMPX 1
| #define HAVE_STRUCT_UTMP_UT_HOST 1
| #define HAVE_STRUCT_UTMPX_UT_HOST 1
| #define HAVE_STRUCT_UTMPX_UT_TV 1
| #define HAVE_STRUCT_DIRENT_D_INO 1
| #define HAVE_STRUCT_SOCKADDR_IN6_SIN6_SCOPE_ID 1
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
| /* System header to define __stub macros and hopefully few prototypes,
|     which can conflict with char gettimeofday (); below.
|     Prefer <limits.h> to <assert.h> if __STDC__ is defined, since
|     <limits.h> exists even on freestanding compilers.  */
| #ifdef __STDC__
| # include <limits.h>
| #else
| # include <assert.h>
| #endif
| /* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
| #ifdef __cplusplus
| extern "C"
| {
| #endif
| /* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
|    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
| char gettimeofday ();
| /* The GNU C library defines this for functions which it implements
|     to always fail with ENOSYS.  Some functions are actually named
|     something starting with __ and the normal name is an alias.  */
| #if defined (__stub_gettimeofday) || defined (__stub___gettimeofday)

configure:9204: result: no
configure:9134: checking for select
> [...]
| #define HAVE_STRING_H 1
| #define HAVE_MEMORY_H 1
| #define HAVE_STRINGS_H 1
| #define HAVE_INTTYPES_H 1
| #define HAVE_UNISTD_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_TIME_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_TIMES_H 1
| #define HAVE_TERMIO_H 1
| #define HAVE_TERMIOS_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_PARAM_H 1
| #define HAVE_STRING_H 1
| #define HAVE_MEMORY_H 1
| #define HAVE_LIMITS_H 1
| #define HAVE_FCNTL_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_UTSNAME_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_RESOURCE_H 1
| #define HAVE_LOCALE_H 1
| #define HAVE_ERRNO_H 1
| #define HAVE_STDIO_H 1
| #define HAVE_STDLIB_H 1
| #define HAVE_UNISTD_H 1
| #define HAVE_UTMP_H 1
| #define HAVE_UTMPX_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H 1
| #define HAVE_PWD_H 1
| #define HAVE_GRP_H 1
| #define HAVE_POLL_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_MMAN_H 1
| #define HAVE_NETINET_IN_SYSTM_H 1
| #define HAVE_LANGINFO_H 1
| #define HAVE_WCHAR_H 1
| #define HAVE_STDDEF_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_STROPTS_H 1
| #define HAVE_DLFCN_H 1
| #define HAVE_DL_H 1
| #define HAVE_LIBM 1
| #define HAVE_CURSES_H 1
| #define HAVE_TERM_H 1
| #define RETSIGTYPE void
| #define ZSH_64_BIT_TYPE long long
| #define ZSH_64_BIT_UTYPE unsigned long long
| #define HAVE_STRUCT_TIMEZONE 1
| #define HAVE_STRUCT_UTMP 1
| #define HAVE_STRUCT_UTMPX 1
| #define HAVE_STRUCT_UTMP_UT_HOST 1
| #define HAVE_STRUCT_UTMPX_UT_HOST 1
| #define HAVE_STRUCT_UTMPX_UT_TV 1
| #define HAVE_STRUCT_DIRENT_D_INO 1
| #define HAVE_STRUCT_SOCKADDR_IN6_SIN6_SCOPE_ID 1
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
| /* System header to define __stub macros and hopefully few prototypes,
|     which can conflict with char select (); below.
|     Prefer <limits.h> to <assert.h> if __STDC__ is defined, since
|     <limits.h> exists even on freestanding compilers.  */
| #ifdef __STDC__
| # include <limits.h>
| #else
| # include <assert.h>
| #endif
| /* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
| #ifdef __cplusplus
| extern "C"
| {
| #endif
| /* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
|    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
| char select ();
| /* The GNU C library defines this for functions which it implements
|     to always fail with ENOSYS.  Some functions are actually named
|     something starting with __ and the normal name is an alias.  */
| #if defined (__stub_select) || defined (__stub___select)

configure:9204: result: no