Re: Unicode problem

Hallo Peter,

Peter Stephenson <pws@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 10:39:55 +0000 (UTC)
> Jörg Sommer <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I'm running zsh in an UTF‐8 environment. Today I wanted to know what this
>> “f” character is and found that zsh can't handle it.
>
> Please, when sending bug reports, can people say explicitly what's actually
> going wrong and what they're doing to provoke it.

Sorry, I'll improve this on my coming reports.

> I think you mean that when you move the cursor backward it miscounts
> the character it's on,

Yes. I insert the characters. Pressing ^A moves the cursor before the U
of unicode.

% unicode -s f<^A>
% unicode -s f
 ^ The cursor is here.

The same happens with “s̶”, “u̲” and “o̅”.

>> The problem seems to be the zero with character. This explains why I can
>
> So that actually displays as zero width on your terminal?

Yes, the zero width character gets no cell. It's drawn as a small
dashed box above the previous character “f”.

> (I'm having to guess this, too.) Yes, that's bound to cause the shell
> problems.  In fact, it's going to be quite impossible to edit: how do
> you even know it's there? On gnome-terminal, which I'm using, it shows
> up as as a thick underscore which is counted as width 1,

The zero width character is drawn with width one?

Bye, Jörg.
--
> Ich kenn mich mit OpenBSD kaum aus, was sind denn da so die
> Vorteile gegenueber Linux und iptables?
Der Fuchsschwanzeffekt ist größer. :->