Re: ZSH_VERSIONSUFFIX [was Re: ZSH_EXTRAVERSION [was Re: Segfault with newer .zwc]]

Clint Adams wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 08:35:17PM -0500, Clint Adams wrote:
> > +VERSION="$VERSION$ZSH_VERSIONSUFFIX"
>
> So this actually doesn't work for reasons that should be obvious from
> the ugly patch below. The suffix is lost in a ./config.status --recheck;
> I don't know whether to view this as a feature or a bug.

After updating the version in Config/version.mk and running make, I now
have a top level Makefile containing:

VERSION=4.3.5
VERSION_DATE='February 1, 2008'
VERSION = 4.3.4-dev-8

so (i) the dependencies aren't right (ii) the new VERSION doesn't fit
with the version generated from version.mk---the way to import a VERSION
definition into makefiles and scripts is @VERSION_MK@.  I suspect you
want to do something like add ${ZSH_VERSIONSUFFIX} in version.mk (note
this needs to work in both shell scripts and Makefiles).

I don't want to wait yet more for 4.3.5, and obviously this isn't a
problem for a production version (though multiple definitions of the
version is), so I'll simply back this off for now.