xpath

I have need of a shell which supports *some* XPath syntax - specifically
that for handling attributes. zsh is currently my shell of choice, and
is quite powerful - I wonder if I can configure zsh to support this
syntax?

I have a content repository mounted on my filesystem. Attributes are
mapped to filesystem extended attributes. I want to use XPath
expressions like: /myrepo/subdir/*[@user.repository_id = a16]

- which should match all entries in /myrepo/subdir which have an
extended attribute named user.repository_id with value a16

I found a paper discussing XPath and filename expansion:
http://dret.net/netdret/docs/wilde-www2006-namespaces.pdf

- and the implementation from the paper: http://xpsh.sourceforge.net/

I also found an article on zsh and querying extended attributes:
http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:pCxLBopsSmQJ:www.linux-mag.com/id/2126

This is a simple introduction to XPath:
http://zvon.org/xxl/XPathTutorial/General/examples.html

XPath is used by the Java content repository API for traversing
hierarchical resources, which is part of my motivation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_repository_API_for_Java

Thanks and best wishes, Jack