Re: xpath

On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 09:01:22 -0700
Jack Bates <ms419@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have need of a shell which supports *some* XPath syntax - specifically
> that for handling attributes. zsh is currently my shell of choice, and
> is quite powerful - I wonder if I can configure zsh to support this
> syntax?
>
> I have a content repository mounted on my filesystem. Attributes are
> mapped to filesystem extended attributes. I want to use XPath
> expressions like: /myrepo/subdir/*[@user.repository_id = a16]

Just to be clear: do you need *exactly* xpath syntax, as given above?
If so, then the answer is no: this conflicts with ordinary shell syntax
where [...] specifies a character class and since any set of characters
can appear within it there's no way of interpreting it any other way.
Or are you happy with something that looks a bit like xpath syntax, and
can be converted (possibly automatically) into it?  If the latter, we
could probably come up with something using shell functions and glob
qualifiers.