Re: PATCH: random attribute stuff

Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On May 6,  3:42pm, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> }
> } Bart Schaefer wrote:
> } > Some people want the entire command line to look one way and the output
> } > from the command to look another way, so they can easily tell what's a
> } > command and what isn't when scrolling backward through buffered output.
> }
> } Right, but I'm not convinced it actually works.
>
> It almost certainly *won't* work except in the most simple cases now that
> ZLE is doing its own highlighting effects.  People are going to have to
> decide whether they want that badly enough to use zle_highlight=(none).

I tried it without any highlighting.

> Inevitably someone will complain that ZLE should put back whatever effect
> was there before when it turns on/off its own effects.

That's probably doable in principle by tying the highlighting state to
what came in with the prompt, but (i) I don't have a lot of interest in
doing this since it's quite a complicated way of propagating a hack to
get particular effects that's getting hackier as the highlighting code
develops (ii) as I said, it doesn't seem to work very well anyway.

It ought to be (but might turn out not to be) fairly easy to add a
"default" element to zle_highlight that causes the given attributes to
be used as the default set for the command line, which would probably
work a lot better, and then deprecate any reliance on what the prompt
happened to produce.