Re: !!$ unitialized at first prompt

On Sep 25,  7:49pm, Peter Stephenson wrote:
} Subject: Re: !!$ unitialized at first prompt
}
} On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 10:26:28 -0700
} Wayne Davison <wayned@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
} > It might be nice to introduce a new history format that would indicate the
} > word splitting in a simple manner.
}
} (1) I'm not sure how much more this actually gains (2) I'd rather not
} have another incompatible history format (3) I prefer that the history
} file always contains a readable line that can be copied directly for use
} from outside the shell.

I agree.

If we were going to do something like this, I'd instead suggest that we
take the known word positions as offsets into the buffer, encode that
somehow, and stick it in the extended-history prefix, rather than
embed an encoding in the literal history text.