Re: zcompile dir oddity with unmatched `

On Mar 4,  7:37pm, Phil Pennock wrote:
}
} % cd ~/bin
} % mkdir N
} % zcompile N

Hang on a minute.  The zcompile builtin doesn't accept directory names
as arguments:

schaefer<507> cd /tmp
schaefer<508> mkdir N
schaefer<509> zcompile N
zcompile: can't read file: N

So you must be using a function or script named zcompile which at some
point calls "builtin zcompile"?  Until we know what your wrapper is
doing, I don't think we can be of that much help.

} Something hinky; I don't have time to investigate further right now, so
} throwing this out in case someone else has seen this and knows what
} might be happening.

Does your wrapper use "builtin zcompile -U"?  If not, try that.  If
that solves it, it's a problem with an alias somewhere; that's the
most likely source of zcompile errors.

You noted that:

} % for f in zsh-funcs/*; do print $f; cp $f N; zcompile N; done
} [ 8 items go in, before a problem, which then disappears with the 9th
}   item; reappears with 23rd item, disappears again ]

As soon as the problem occurs you should check (possibly in another
shell) whether loading the previous (seemingly error-free) zwc file
correctly defines all the compiled functions (e.g., look at the
output of the "functions" command).