Re: Access to CVS

On 2012-12-14 at 15:09 +0000, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> I'm still hoping for a simple, straightforward list of the basic
> commands you'd need to use *not* involving the manifold ramifications of
> branches here, there and everywhere.  Presumably this isn't more than
> half a dozen commands or so.

% $VISUAL file1.c file2.c new-file3.c
% git add new-file3.c
% git commit -a
% git push

"git commit -a" automatically finds files which are tracked and have
been modified, but doesn't pick up files newly tracked.  "git add"
starts tracking a file.

"git commit -a -i new-file3.c" should also add the file.

If you want to be more selective, then for each file changed, "git add"
it to stage it in the index for the next commit, then just "git commit"
which will only commit the manually-staged files.

"git push" assumes that you're on the master branch and the repository
was created by cloning it from some place, with default options.

Try to get the most recent version of git you can, they're in the middle
of switching "git push" semantics to be saner/safer/cleaner by default
("only push the current branch, and only if this branch exists on the
remote server") and you probably want this new default.  Git 1.8+

Everything else is about building on that.  It's just that with an
existing repository and code-base where complexity is already an issue,
you're in the unfortunate position of trying to avoid making the
repository complicated and so folks are suggesting ways to minimise the
history complexity of the repository, and so your learning curve is even
steeper.  I faced the same problems when Exim switched.  :-/

-Phil