Re: The default $fpath

On Sun, 2014-09-07 at 15:37 -0400, Vin Shelton wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 7, 2014 at 2:31 PM, Peter Stephenson
> > The proposal is quite simply to add /usr/local/share/zsh/site-functions,
> > that and nothing else, independent of any other factors, to the default
> > fpath at some point.  I'd like to know if there are any significant
> > disadvantages to this before we even think about anything more
> > complicated.
>
> I don't have a /usr/local on my system, I use /opt instead.  Will it
> be possible to override the root?

I think it's probably a good idea to make the
non-install-prefix-dependent directory configurable. I'd be interested,
though, is /opt used exactly in the same way as /usr/local on your
system? That is, if you build a program called foo from source, do you
pass --prefix=/opt to foo's configure script, so foo's zsh completion
files will end up in /opt/share/zsh/site-functions?

My understanding is that usually /opt is used so that you'd pass
--prefix=/opt/foo to foo's configure script, so the completions will end
up in /opt/foo/share/zsh/site-functions, and there's no way zsh is going
to find them from there. So, if you use /opt, you'll anyway need to pass
some extra configure parameter when building foo, so that foo's
completion files will be installed to /usr/share/zsh/site-functions (or
whatever location you prefer). In this scheme it doesn't really matter
if you can't override the non-install-prefix-dependent zsh function
directory.

--
Tanu