Re: Slowdown around 5.0.5-dev-0

On Sat, Oct 17, 2015 at 2:12 AM, Sebastian Gniazdowski
<sgniazdowski@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 16 October 2015 at 02:35, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> The array test only iterates 10000 times, the string test 50000 ?  Does
>> that not account for the difference?
>
> Apparently not. I've modified the mem-test script so that it queries
> usage of memory also during the tests. It can be seen that for strings
> (and zsh 5.0.2) the memory is high from the beginning.

I'm strongly inclined to think that's more likely an artifact of the
testing method than of the test itself -- have you tried running the
tests in the opposite order?  You also haven't explained your
reasoning for having the string test iterate so many more times than
the array test.  Does it have to do with keeping total run time
similar?

> It can be also seen that the recent three patches increase memory
> usage. A clean, free from the patches version of zsh
> (5.1.1-dev-0-clean) keeps the memory always low.

That's entirely to be expected -- all three patches increase speed by
avoiding the work necessary to minimize memory footprint, until (as
you noted in next message) the execution stack is unwound.