Re: What's the next release number?

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 10:02 AM, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> How can I now, at a given point in time, what will be the next release's
> version number?

You can't know.  It depends on how significant a release it is.

I keep running into situations where I need to refer to a change made in
> master using the release number it's expected to first appear in, and

when I try to guess what that number will be, I get it wrong.  (E.g.,
> when 5.0.8 was current I wrote "The change will appear in 5.0.9" and
> there is no such version.  Ditto for 5.1.2/5.2.)

> I could say "the change will appear in the release after 5.2", but
> that's needlessly complicated: I'd much rather be able to say "The
> change will appear in release ${foo}" for one specific value of ${foo}.

What's an example situation?  "The change will appear after version X.Y"
and "The bug was fixed after version X.Y" both seem reasonable to me for
situations that need a description in natural language.

For something automated (e.g. `is-at-least X.Y.Z`), you can just assume it
will be a patch release, since the version increment will be at least as
much as a patch release.  Even if no release ever exists with that specific
version, the next release will still compare as greater.

--
Best,
Ben