Re: Prompt wrapping problems since 42285 ("off by one fix in multiple prompts ")

On Thu, 10 May 2018 15:27:44 -0700
"Alexandros Kozak" <agkozak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have an asynchronous ZSH prompt
> (https://github.com/agkozak/agkozak-zsh-theme) that works quite well
> in ZSH 4.3.11-5.4.2. Ever since v5.5 came out, I've been having a lot
> of trouble when the prompt wraps; the cursor frequently appears a few
> characters back from where it should. Eliminating the RPROMPT
> sometimes helps a bit, but even then, if I enter something and then
> delete the line, the cursor will snap back on top of the text of the
> left prompt, not at its end.

Bart pointed out when this patch appeared that terminal behaviour simply
isn't well-defined enough that all of them have consistent wrapping
behaviour, and they don't even provide enough information for the shell
to decide by itself.

About the only possibility we have to is to expand the ability to
configure the settings (we currently have ZLE_RPROMPT_INDENT, which can
be set to 1 to try to massage our way out of trouble).

pws