Re: ANSI C standard of zsh

On 3/25/2024 18:47, Oliver Kiddle wrote:
Clinton Bunch wrote:
Here is my first cut at replacement wording for the first two paragraphs
of the C coding style section:
This looks good to me.

If you wish to use features not present in the ANSI C 99 standard, there
are preprocessor macros to provide safe access to some of these.  Always
use the macros if you want to use these facilities.
I was trying to think how this reads to someone completely unfamiliar
with the zsh code and what macros we have that meet this description.
Autoconf detects mostly system library/OS features and the macros
related to that are either defined to 1 (or left undefined). So the
macros allow you to make the use of such features conditional. "provide
safe access" sounds more like a wrapper – I couldn't think of an
example but that's not to say there aren't any. The preprocessor macros
are for anything that isn't portable rather than a particular language
standard.

Oliver
I think what was intended was macros like _POSIX_C_SOURCE and _XOPEN_SOURCE and __STDC__.  The glibc man pages are littered with them.