Re: Aliases that ignore "noaliases"

On Mon, Apr 1, 2024 at 1:18 PM Stephane Chazelas <stephane@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> TLDR, I think zsh should avoid having builtin aliases.

In the cases I'm thinking of, it doesn't really have to behave like an
alias in the sense of lex-time textual replacement.  For builtins, we
already have a number of them that invoke the same C function
underneath, with different lists of allowed and default options
handled by the "front end" for builtintab entries.  Something similar
for reserved words would go a long way.  Sort of the way "zle -C" uses
a builtin widget to define how a user-defined one should behave.

The "suspend" example from ksh is not particularly apt here because
I'm interested in defining syntax rather than (re-)implementing
commands, so naming would have to be approached just as carefully as
with any new reserved word.