Re: completing file names

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 10:46:32AM +0000, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> "Andrei A. Voropaev" wrote:
> > Completion is very good, but very complex to quickly understand it :) So
> > far I've configured everything as compinstall was guiding and I'm
> > satisfied. Only one thing bothers me. I would like to get the list of
> > hosts not from /etc/hosts file but from some other file. Because then I
> > can rely on DNS to find the appropriate IP for given file name. And
> > names I can collect say in ~/.known_hosts one host per line. How can I
> > set it up?
>
> You need to set the "hosts" style to the list of values in the file.
>
> zstyle ':completion:*' hosts $(<~/.known_hosts)
>
> should be good enough (host names don't need special quoting).
>
> > (in fact ~/.ssh/known_hosts can be such file, but there the host name is
> > followed by lots of things on the line :)
>
> You can do that, too:
>
> zstyle ':completion:*' hosts ${${(f)"$(<~/.ssh/known_hosts)"}%%[[:space:],]*}
>
> This is using zsh's CompletelyImpenetrableExpansionSystem (TM):
>
> "$(<~/.ssh/known_hosts)"
>
> produces the contents of the file as a single string.
>
> ${(f)...}
>
> splits that into an array of strings, one for each line of the file.
>
> ${...%%[[:space:],]*}
>
> for each element of the array, strips off everything from the first
> space or comma on, leaving the initial hostname in each case.  (My
> ~/.ssh/known_hosts has IP addresses after a comma, which we don't want.)

Perfect. It works :) On the note of completion. I've noticed that now
when I say 'scp host:/path/files/* .' zsh complains that there were no
matches found. To work around this I had to put quotes around the
host:/path/files/*. I've tried to use

zstyle ':completion:*' preserve-prefix '(//[^/]##/|[^:/]##:)'

bur for some reason it didn't help. So I guess this style is not the
right one :) What would be the right action (beside putting it in
quotes?)