Re: Sorting file names randomly

On Jul 24,  9:39am, DervishD wrote:
}
} >       for ((i=1; i <= $#; ++i)) { reply[i*RANDOM/32768+1]+=($argv[i]) }
}
}     Why is it better than my function?

It's shorter (which is one of the things you asked for), and it only
does array processing rather than building up and tearing down strings.

} Maybe this is faster than doing the '(e' thing?

More on this below.

} >       for ((i=1; i <= $#; ++i)) { h[$i.$RANDOM]=$argv[i] }
}
}     I understand this one better ;) That's another solution I thought
} of, but I assumed that if I used associative arrays, the order of
} elements would be the order in which they were inserted (which is
} not, I've discovered right now).
}
}     Anyway, the ordering of elements in an associative array is not
} very random if $RANDOM is not included in the key, and I don't
} understand it :?? How are associative arrays elements sorted?

Are you familiar with the concept of hash tables?  That's how nearly
all languages that have associative arrays, implement them, and in
many cases (e.g. Perl) they're even called "hashes" by the language.

You can think of the elements as being ordered by a set of numbers
computed by applying a simple algorithm to the ascii values of the
characters in the key strings.  It's actually a bit more complex than
that, but close enough.