Re: various buggy behaviors in zsh out-of-the-box on Suse

Hello, thanks for replying; you've helped solve almost all my problems.

Apparently I *did* make a few modifications and forgot about them... I feel ridiculous about my previous default behavior comment, sorry.
Still have one questions if you'd be so kind:

On Wednesday 06 June 2007 05:01:20 Peter Stephenson wrote:
> Mats Ahlgren wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I recently installed zsh and have noticed some very odd behavior -- could any
> > one please help?
> >
> > =================================
> > 1) Bugged auto-tabbing behavior
> >
> > As you can see, autocompletion indents the line 22 characters to the
> > right.
>
> This looks like either a bad terminal definition, or the shell is badly
> linked to the curses library or its equivalent, or there are funny
> characters in the prompt which is confusing the shell (the prompt you
> show looks pretty simple but if it's something more complicated
> try PS1="%# ").

# excerpt from .zshrc

# COLORIZE PROMPT
autoload colors; colors

# Prompt
PS1="
$bg[black]$fg[blue]%B%#%b $fg[white]%B"

 Apparently using the variables $bg[...] and $fg[...], etc., seems to be causing this bug. Might you or anyone have any insight as to why?

> > 3) Annoying autocomplete behavior:
> >
> > If I have the following things in a directory:
> > test/
> > test.tgz
> >
> > And I type "te[tab]" to autocomplete, it autocompletes to test/ without ever
> > giving me the option to complete as test.tgz. Is there a way to achieve this
> > like in bash?
>
> This isn't the default behaviour, so something is setting an option to
> turn it on.  You may find hitting <TAB> again cycles to the other file.
> Look at the options in the "Completion" section of the zshoptions manual
> for hints.  MENU_COMPLETE or REC_EXACT are possibilities, depending
> exactly what it's doing.

Apparently I was looking for "auto_menu" -- problem solved.

Many thanks,
Mats