Re: proper UTF-8 support under OSX

> :From: Panagiotis Atmatzidis <atma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> :Subject: proper UTF-8 support under OSX
> :Hello,
> :
> :I have a snow leopard desktop to which I use the default BASH which
> :works fine. Then I have another system on the house that runs Tiger
> :(OSX) 10.4.11 mac mini G4 ppc. When I ssh from SL to Tiger I can't
> :write greek. The UTF-8 support appears to be broken, while I can't see
> :nor UTF-8 nor ISO-8859-7 chars on mutt email client.

If Mutt is also affected, this is probably not a problem due to zsh.

Also if you use ssh, you need the same charmap on both sides.

> :Of course I tried to set .zshrc LANG and LOCALE options in el_GR.UTF-8
> :mode but it does not work. And while I can't write Greek to zsh and
> :bash, apparently I can write correctly using ksh!!!

Could you try the following commands?

  env | grep '^\(LANG\|LC_\)'
  locale

And the following utility:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <locale.h>
#include <langinfo.h>

int main (void)
{
  setlocale (LC_ALL, "");
  printf ("%s\n", nl_langinfo (CODESET));
  return 0;
}

(This is what "locale charmap" should do, but it is broken on Tiger.)

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@xxxxxxxxxx> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.net/>