Re: proper UTF-8 support under OSX [solved]

Hello,

Thank you all a priori for the replies,

On 23 ÎÎÏ 2009, at 2:32 Ï.Î., Vincent Lefevre wrote:

:From: Panagiotis Atmatzidis <atma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
:Subject: proper UTF-8 support under OSX
:Hello,
:
:I have a snow leopard desktop to which I use the default BASH which
:works fine. Then I have another system on the house that runs Tiger
:(OSX) 10.4.11 mac mini G4 ppc. When I ssh from SL to Tiger I can't
:write greek. The UTF-8 support appears to be broken, while I can't see
:nor UTF-8 nor ISO-8859-7 chars on mutt email client.

If Mutt is also affected, this is probably not a problem due to zsh.

Also if you use ssh, you need the same charmap on both sides.

:Of course I tried to set .zshrc LANG and LOCALE options in el_GR.UTF-8
:mode but it does not work. And while I can't write Greek to zsh and
:bash, apparently I can write correctly using ksh!!!

Could you try the following commands?

 env | grep '^\(LANG\|LC_\)'
 locale

And the following utility:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <locale.h>
#include <langinfo.h>

int main (void)
{
 setlocale (LC_ALL, "");
 printf ("%s\n", nl_langinfo (CODESET));
 return 0;
}

(This is what "locale charmap" should do, but it is broken on Tiger.)

--
Vincent LefÃvre <vincent@xxxxxxxxxx> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.net/>
100% accessible validated (X)HTML - Blog: <http://www.vinc17.net/ blog/> Work: CR INRIA - computer arithmetic / ArÃnaire project (LIP, ENS- Lyon)

The problem is solved :-)

Here are my configurations:

atma@angel:~/ > uname
Darwin
atma@angel:~/ > uname -r
10.0.0
atma@angel:~/ > locale
LANG="el_GR.utf-8"
LC_COLLATE="el_GR.utf-8"
LC_CTYPE="el_GR.utf-8"
LC_MESSAGES="el_GR.utf-8"
LC_MONETARY="el_GR.utf-8"
LC_NUMERIC="el_GR.utf-8"
LC_TIME="el_GR.utf-8"
LC_ALL=
atma@angel:~/ > ssh devo
Last login: Fri Oct 23 19:21:13 2009 from angel
Welcome to Darwin!
atma@devo:~/ > uname
Darwin
atma@devo:~/ > uname -r
8.11.0
atma@devo:~/ > locale
LANG="el_GR.utf-8"
LC_COLLATE="el_GR.utf-8"
LC_CTYPE="el_GR.utf-8"
LC_MESSAGES="el_GR.utf-8"
LC_MONETARY="el_GR.utf-8"
LC_NUMERIC="el_GR.utf-8"
LC_TIME="el_GR.utf-8"
LC_ALL="el_GR.utf-8"
atma@devo:~/ >  env | grep '^\(LANG\|LC_\)'
atma@devo:~/ > ./a.out
utf-8
atma@devo:~/ > sudo grep Accept /etc/sshd_config
#GSSAPIStrictAcceptorCheck yes
AcceptEnv LANG LC_*
atma@devo:~/ > ÎÎÎÎÎÎÏÎ
zsh: command not found: ÎÎÎÎÎÎÏÎ

I just but the same options under .zshrc and the AcceptEnv LANG LC_* under sshd. I restarted the sshd demon and "voila!" :-)

Works mutt, irssi (through screen without -U flag) and everything else I cheched out with proper UTF-8 support.

Thanks

Panagiotis (atmosx) Atmatzidis

email:	atma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
URL:	http://www.convalesco.org
GnuPG key id: 0xFC4E8BB4
--
The wise man said: "Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."