Re: locking failed for /home/whoever/.zhistory: no such file or directory

On Jul 13,  7:53pm, Peter Stephenson wrote:
} Subject: Re: locking failed for /home/whoever/.zhistory: no such file or d
}
} On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 07:54:44 -0700
} Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
} >
} > I think he means zsh is never writing anything to the file, not that it
} > is intentionally always empty.
}
} That's not related to the locking problem, though, is it?

It might be -- that is, they might both stem from the same underlying
cause, which is probably an issue with his system (perhaps his home
directory permissions, for example, though I'm at a loss as to the
exact reason).  But the point is that his runtime history is non-empty
and he's set SAVEHIST to a non-zero value, yet nothing is ever written
to the file, so *something* is failing, and the only error he's seeing
is the lock warning at startup.

Maybe starting a login shell ("zsh -l" for those who don't know) from
within another shell, and then exiting from that inner shell, would
provide an opportunity to see error messages that are otherwise being
hidden by the closing of a terminal emulator window or the like.