Re: INTERACTIVE_COMMENTS - why?

Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Aug 24,  3:17pm, Frank Terbeck wrote:
> } Fair enough. But then again, who wouldn't set `extended_glob'? ;)
>
> I don't.  I have a little "eglob" function that I use as a prefix to
> the command line when I want extended globbing.  (Obviously I spend
> too much of my time cleaning out backup files that have "#" and "~"
> in their names.)

Hm. I wonder how you're doing that. I've ended up with the following:

alias eglob='noalias eglob'
function eglob() {
    emulate -L zsh
    setopt extended_glob
    ${~"${argv[@]}"};
}

Are you doing something similar or is there a neat trick to do that
differently?

> } Still: The choice of having it unset by default might still be for
> } emulating csh behaviour. Or maybe not. If someone can remember why
> } it's off by default, I'd be glad to hear about it.
>
> It's almost certainly related to csh.  Zsh was first invented as a
> shell to bring Bourne shell parsing regularity and scripting features
> to users (university students in a BSD Unix environment) who had been
> introduced to Unix via csh.  Anything that would overtly confuse a
> csh-er who was typing a simple one-liner at the prompt was avoided.

Okay. Thanks for clearing that up.

Regards, Frank