Re: Zsh on Debian is beginning to rot

Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2012-09-09 13:48:20 +0200, Frank Terbeck wrote:
>> What do you mean not much better. There is virtually no difference
>> between 4.3.17 and 5.0.0.
>
> Wrong. There's an important difference: bug 679345 (svn completions)
> is fixed in zsh 5.0.0, but not in 4.3.17.

One bug in one small part of the shell as a whole does NOT invalidate my
statement. Not at all.

>> There is a 5.0.0 package in experimental. It's not in sid, because of
>> the current freeze in debian..
>
> [...] Subversion was moved to 1.7 in sid, but in sid, zsh
> remains with svn completion rules that are incompatible with svn 1.7.
> So, unless some zsh update is done (possibly only the completion rules),
> this will be an important regression for users of zsh and svn in the
> next stable version.

That is unfortunate (even though it does not break everything into an
unfixable state). However, that has not been made clear in the bug
report. It might be possible to get a 4.3.17 package into wheezy, that
updates just the _subversion completion. Talk to the maintenance team.

If that is not possible (which would surprise me, to say the least),
admins can always drop a fixed _subversion into
`/usr/local/share/zsh/site-functions'.

I realise, that the latter would not be a desirable state at all; so no
need to lecture me on that. I am just pointing out a way out in the
worst case scenario.

Regards, Frank