Re: Zsh on Debian is beginning to rot

On 2012-09-10 10:42:41 +0200, Frank Terbeck wrote:
> Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > On 2012-09-09 13:48:20 +0200, Frank Terbeck wrote:
> >> What do you mean not much better. There is virtually no difference
> >> between 4.3.17 and 5.0.0.
> >
> > Wrong. There's an important difference: bug 679345 (svn completions)
> > is fixed in zsh 5.0.0, but not in 4.3.17.
>
> One bug in one small part of the shell as a whole does NOT invalidate my
> statement. Not at all.

It may be a small part of the shell, but affects all users of both zsh
and svn, IMHO not a small part of the zsh user base (by "small", I mean
not small enough to ignore the bug). And this bug is very annoying in
practice.

> If that is not possible (which would surprise me, to say the least),
> admins can always drop a fixed _subversion into
> `/usr/local/share/zsh/site-functions'.
>
> I realise, that the latter would not be a desirable state at all; so no
> need to lecture me on that. I am just pointing out a way out in the
> worst case scenario.

The main problem with that is that it is easy to forget such files,
thus the one that will be taken into account may never be updated,
and this is really bad.

It would have been great if such files were versioned, so that it
would be possible to tell zsh to take the most recent one.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@xxxxxxxxxx> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.net/>