Re: Please implement auto-handling of ${HOME}/.zsh/

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 6:41 AM, Bart Schaefer
<schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Like TJ, I have a common set of config files stored on the web.  (Not
> in Dropbox, in a source repository from which I check out to ~/.zsh,
> but it's the same idea.)  One of the files in that repository is a
> script called ".installer" which writes something much like the above
> into ~/.zshenv (with a warning if that would clobber an existing file,
> etc.).  I haven't yet needed to, but I've considered having .installer
> also write bash init files that exec zsh if zsh is not in /etc/shells.

This is a tad off topic, but vcsh[1] does exist and deals with this
issue nicely without the need for installer scripts.

Your zsh, and other, configs is then a simple `vcsh clone` away which
is basically a wrapper around git, forcing it to put several working
copies into $HOME along each other.

Richard

[1] https://github.com/RichiH/vcsh