Re: ANSI bg colour outside of prompt area

On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 5:14 PM, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Many terminal emulators (more modern than xterm; e.g. gnome-terminal and
> PuTTY, among others) provide GUI menus for doing this sort of thing.  In
> gnome-terminal it's Terminal -> Change Profile, you can set up as many
> different profiles as you like with different font/color/lines/columns
> etc. combinations, and switch among them as necessary.
>
> Of course "st" is designed to be extremely simple/lightweight, so it does
> not have that sort of feature available.

Don't try to teach grandma how to suck eggs :-)

My first programming course in 1976 involved the use of a teletype model-33
with paper tape punch/reader: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teletype_Model_33.
My second course to learn FORTRAN required going to the school district
administrative offices to use their IBM 80-column card punch machine then
taking the card deck to another building to be submitted for running
overnight: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card.

Kids these days just don't understand how walking to school and back home
uphill both ways through two meters of snow helps build character :-)

The only other argument that the shell should get involved in this is
> for non-GUI consoles.  I've seen reference to default console colors
> having to be compiled in to the kernel, which does seem like overkill.
> Even so, as Zyx pointed out, there's no way for the shell to make color
> changes stick when other programs run.

I have several Linux virtual-machines and, yes, the emulated serial console
has a hard-coded black background. Boo-hoo. Honestly, if you're spending
more than a few minutes a year interacting with a system via such an
interface you still have options that are preferable to bolting on another
"feature" to zsh that only 0.001% of its users will find valuable.

--
Kurtis Rader