Re: Extended globbing seems to have become much slower in recent versions of Zsh

I see no real difference with or without Peter's patch, I'm afraid.

I will incorporate the suggestions from Bart in my solution. But I feel I
haven't explained very well (or at all) what I'm trying to achieve. I use
this kind of globbing in a sort of "recursive grep" which I use
interactively to grep in my project's codebase. The inputs to the script
include both patterns that I search for and patterns that I want to
exclude. Up until now, I have composed the list of exclusions from the
input without separating ordinary files from directories, but Bart's tip
made me aware that such a separation would be worth doing to make it faster.

As a side note, since I have implemented this in zsh, I followed what I
thought was "zsh best practice", and composed this rather complicated file
list with a zsh glob expression, instead of relying on an external command
such as gnu "find". But after I discovered this bottle neck in my scripts,
I have experimented with instead letting "find" find the files, and indeed
that seems a whole lot faster. I mention that just to be sure that I am not
causing you to waste your time if my use case is so extreme that it's not
worth bothering about its performance.