Re: Are completions in some way heavy?

On 8 June 2016 at 20:40, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Jun 8, 11:03am, Oliver Kiddle wrote:
> } Menu selection (the zsh/complist module) has an incremental search, so
> } what you describe above can already be done.
>
> I think Sebastian wants to search through the descriptions, whereas the
> complist search only examines the completions themselves.

It searches through descriptions of options. Quite nice thing. This
single zstyle:

zstyle ':completion:*:*:*:default' menu yes select search

configures the completion to a high degree I think. Often "force-list"
is used and I think other combinations of zstyles to actually see menu
completion. Works quite well, more enters are required but it's done
to be quite natural. Don't know yet how to cycle through matches,
would like to leave completion on space, don't get what "interactive"
mode is. But a very nice thing, I had success of finding mpv
--no-video option without ever giving options to the program before
and considering it's -vo null like in mplayer. Nevertheless I need to
recognize this more.

And nevertheless I decided to continue with the proof of concept :)

https://asciinema.org/a/8k8v5ni5lnnpoc3z5jzl6jgav
https://github.com/psprint/zzcomplete

What I think is needed is context search, to return text surrounding
matches. Might be difficult to implement and unreadable (like grep -C,
it's difficult to read when untrained).

Best regards,
Sebastian Gniazdowski