Re: trapped in bash

On 12/18/2016 07:06 AM, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
Ray Andrews wrote on Sat, Dec 17, 2016 at 14:40:50 -0800:
Ah ... it's the stock files in /etc/zsh, I renamed the directory and
everything is as I expect.
If you just rename the directory, it'll be recreated the next time you
upgrade your zsh package (which is probably very soon).

Sure, that's to be expected.
   You could
instead 'setopt NO_GLOBAL_RCS' in .zshenv.

I'll look into that, thanks. Meanwhile just shooting the directory was easy enough to understand. But as I said I want to take a look at those half a dozen various ifs ands buts and maybes as to the startup files, right now one plain old .zshrc seems to do everything nicely however.

BTW, as to the 'file not found' thing last time, not that this is worth any bother, but surely the shell knows that it has found its target file vs. not being able to run it for some secondary reason? zsh and bash seem to have the same message there, as I found trying to start zsh from bash, or any of my 32 bit binaries from zsh under 64 bit Debian. Would it be doable to distinguish between *really* 'not found' and 'can't run this binary'? If nothing else it would have stopped me from having to ask that question :-/