Re: Avoiding the zshells intelligence...in one case

On Tue, 24 Jan 2017, Ray Andrews wrote:

> On 24/01/17 02:31 PM, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 Jan 2017, Ray Andrews wrote:
> >
> > > Sure, but if we have any chains -- one command calling another -- we
> > > end up loosing the quotes as things are passed along.
> > That's not true UNLESS ...
>
> God knows.  I've probably zigged to fix my zags on occasion, which is to
> say that I've had to do funny stuff to fix other funny stuff

Probably we're back to the "different levels of quoting" thing here; i.e.,
even if you've successfully protected everything from interpretation by
the shell language parser, you can still encounter another interpretation
done by the command itself, such as backslashes within "print" and "echo".

In nearly all cases those have a control of their own to force literal
use of arguments ("echo -E", "print -r", etc.).