Re: Apple bash to zsh script problems with error control and bash emulation

On Tue, Nov 17, 2020 at 10:48 PM Bart Schaefer
<schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Catalina bash is actually 3.2.57, it appears.  Why on earth ... oh well.

Right, that one. The last 3.x release. If this release were a person,
it would be in high school by now.

On Tue, Nov 17, 2020 at 11:26 PM Dominik Reichardt <domiman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So while I DID upgrade my main machine I doubt that Apple downgraded my bash.

My guess is that you'd previously installed bash with homebrew or
similar, so the script was being interpreted with bash 5.x. After the
upgrade it started being interpreted with the stock bash (3.x). Does
that sound plausible?

It's a good idea to install the newer bash (e.g., with homebrew) and
to point /bin/sh to it. Having an ancient sh interpreter is bound to
create friction.

Roman.