Re: key binding not working [SOLVED]

On 9/26/22, Peter Stephenson <p.w.stephenson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2022-09-26 at 20:13 +0200, Roman Perepelitsa wrote:
>> Your changing the subject broke threading. I think it's not a good idea
>> to do that.
>
> Actually, a poll of three local clients --- one desktop, one browser-based,
> one Android --- suggests it didn't universally break it, since they all
> handled it, so there is a bit of wiggle room here.  I would say it's an
> area
> where there isn't a definite right or wrong --- there are just too many
> different client behaviours to worry about to be too dogmatic.  Having
> said that, I tend to keep subject lines unaltered until the subject
> has actually changed --- and by the same token, you don't know even
> that's going to make your client use a new thread if it's going by
> message IDs.
>
> In summary, bleugh.
>
> pws
>
> P.S. Evolution, Vivaldi's internal client, and K9 Mail, in case you're
> wondering.

For all its virtues (probably countable on one hand), GMail still has
no support for threads after all these years. Trying to read lkml or
git is nigh impossible since all the PATCH x/50 threads are completely
disjointed. It simply groups mails naively by subject which is pretty
much objectively the wrong thing to do. (This also leads to a lot of
confusion when getting automated mails with the same subject line but
which aren't strictly related).
</rant>

--
Mikael Magnusson