Re: Bug: Losing .zsh_history

On Wed, Oct 5, 2022 at 4:03 PM Dominik Vogt <dominik.vogt@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Actually, what's really strange is that the shell should not be
> started at all in this situation:  The display only ever fails
> when powering on; once it works it keeps working.

It's possible that the window manager has started even though it can't
use the display, so you can't see it.  Although if you normally are
presented with a login screen, that's probably not it.

Is it possible that a shell is starting on a different virtual
terminal (console)?

Incidentally, everything I've seen with publication dates in the last
7 years says that it's no longer worthwhile to worry about SSD wear
from repeated writes.  Any recently-manufactured SSD will probably
outlast an HDD.  I suppose you did mention that you have an old
machine, so maybe you're trying to preserve a very old drive?