Re: Bug: Losing .zsh_history

On Wed, Oct 05, 2022 at 09:34:15PM -0700, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 5, 2022 at 4:03 PM Dominik Vogt <dominik.vogt@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > Actually, what's really strange is that the shell should not be
> > started at all in this situation:  The display only ever fails
> > when powering on; once it works it keeps working.
>
> It's possible that the window manager has started even though it can't
> use the display, so you can't see it.

No, the box boots to the console and X is started from the command
line.

> Is it possible that a shell is starting on a different virtual
> terminal (console)?

Can't think of a way to get into an _interactive_ zsh without typing
a password sowmewhere.  The loss must have occured when shutting
down the machine in the previous session.

> Incidentally, everything I've seen with publication dates in the last
> 7 years says that it's no longer worthwhile to worry about SSD wear
> from repeated writes.  Any recently-manufactured SSD will probably
> outlast an HDD.

> I suppose you did mention that you have an old
> machine, so maybe you're trying to preserve a very old drive?

Yeah.  But I've just taken a look at the output of the smartmon
tools and it looks like even the ancient disk will be safe for
many more years.  Leaving 1/3 of the disk space unpartitioned
seems to be good enough for the rest of my life, without having to
worry about additional measures.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--