Re: path PATH

On 2023-01-22 17:11, Bart Schaefer wrote:
That's actually exactly my point: It is not true that you had to
resort to "typeset" to get this information.  Everything you wanted
except the output formatting is available given the parameter name
itself, you don't even need the zsh/parameter module.

Whatever.  However.  I'm just happy to have something that works.  Obviously the building blocks were there, I just didn't know how to find them.  Everything *seemed* to suggest that typeset -p was where you went for that kind of information.  I'm glad to learn otherwise.  Seems I was driving nails with a crosscut saw.  Now I have a hammer.  It's that simple and thanks again.  If I'd had DP ab ovo, this thread, and a few others like it, would never have been started cuz things would have been clear from the getgo.

However, there are plenty of scripts in Functions/Misc that fit this

I don't understand Lawrence's perspective on this.  Can one have too many tools?  I suppose something could be so marginal that it's not worth it's weight but is DP really like that?  I doubt I'm the only person who finds that kind of information useful.  Lawrence spins it as some sort of fetish to want to see the type of a param and it's value at the same time.  I don't see this as anything like a contest.  The devs will make the right decision.  But from the peanut gallery I myself will always vote for what's simple, informative, and clear.  Those who like things that are convoluted, confusing, incomplete and obscure can have those things too.