Re: problems with 4.3.4 and Tru64

On Thu, 10 May 2007, Peter Stephenson wrote:

Timo Aaltonen <tjaalton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Apparently multibyte is _not_ on, and running 'setopt multibyte'
doesn't do anything. Configure does say that multibyte support is
enabled.

That's a bit bizarre since it should be on by default.  I don't
understand this, unless it's somehow related to the following.

However, I think I've got somewhere with reproducing your original
problem by using your locales:

LANG=C
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_CTYPE=fi_FI.UTF-8
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_ALL=

This also fails to handle multibyte characters properly.
(However, in my case the multibyte option is still set.)
If I remove the LANG=C from that set, it starts working.  This
is obviously a bug.  Are you able to try it with LANG completely
unset (but setting the mulitbyte option by hand if necessary)?

'unset LANG' doesn't seem to help, and setopt doesn't show multibyte even if I try to load it. So it somehow fails to load, apparently?

thanks,