Re: need help debugging cvs completion problem

Greg Klanderman wrote:
> Unfortunately, it seems that when the new completion system was
> designed, it did not abstract stuff like handling parameter
> references, quoting, etc like the compctl stuff did.  So if you're
> doing file completion, _path_files has all that logic (at the expense
> of being completely incomprehensible) and it mostly works, but other
> sorts of completion either have to reimplement that logic (sometimes
> partially and/or buggily), or just not handle these complications.

Right, it's the same problem with generating the files for git
completion---if you're not using _path_files, you're starting from
scratch, and you don't have the useful stuff for handling directories,
hence you're doing too much work.

It would be really nice to have this all generic---pass in a directory
to a context-defined function, pass back a list of files, however
generated---even if it was in the first instance separate from
_path_files.  The combination of _path_files, compfiles, and the basic
completion system is as obfuscated as anything I know.

compctl was no better---but as the whole thing was hidden from you from
start to end it didn't matter.