Re: zsh ignores the arguments on its first command.

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 02:01, Peter Stephenson <Peter.Stephenson@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 09:44:13 -0700
> Martin Buchholz <martinrb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I was thinking that, in addition,
>> the construct ${+NAME}
>> should never cause "unknown parameter",
>> not even due to failure to load a module
>> that provides the parameter as a feature,
>> so an additional fix in the zsh core might be good.
>> If a module fails to load, NAME should become an
>> ordinary unset variable, and ${+NAME} should be 0.
>
> I don't think that can be right.  You're basically asking for all (or a
> substantial subset of) autoload failures to be silent.

I think you're right that users should be notified
of all module load failures, including those
caused by autoloaded features.

However, "unknown parameter" is a very
misleading and frustrating error message,
especially when the construct ${+NAME}
asks to simply return 0 for unknown parameters.

Emacs has a similar feature, and a more
informative error message, of the form

    error ("Autoloading failed to define function %s",

So please change the zsh error to something like

"Autoloading of module %s failed to define parameter %s"

Martin