Re: zle: vi mode: wrong undo handling on fresh lines

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 08:28:34 -0800
> On Jan 28,  2:58pm, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> }
> } > I think this is starting to get somewhere, but I suspect it needs
> } > tweaking.  For example, should that synthesised 'i' really be an 'a'?
> }
> } Well, I think I'm going to commit it with the "a" because (i) this
> } definitely seems better than what was there before in any case and (ii)
> } hitting "ESC" and "." after typing the start of the line, which is my
> } naive way of getting it to repeat, does repeat what I just inserted
> } because of vi's quirk of backing up a character when leaving insert
> } mode.  Obviously I'm not claiming this is the end of the matter.
>
> Sorry, I missed this when looking at your previous message.  I agree
> that "a" is more correct than "i" here.  In fact "A" might even be a
> reasonable choice.

Except, of course, if someone has redefined "a" / "A" in vicmd to the
widget delete-all-my-files-and-self-detonate.  Like the viins / vicmd
repeat thing you commented on, this is fundamental to the limitations of
the vi change buffer.  A partial fix might be to use tokens (and so
tokenise & metafy the vi change buffer), but I think this can of worms
is somewhat larger than that.

pws